Thursday, August 28, 2008

canapé of the day...


A canapé or canape (French for couch[1] and known in Italy as tartina) is a small, prepared and usually decorative food, held in the fingers and often eaten in one bite. Because they are often served during cocktail hours, it is often desired that a canapé be either salty or spicy, in order to encourage guests to drink more. A canapé may also be referred to as finger food, although not all finger foods are canapés. Crackers or small slices of bread or toast or puff pastry, cut into various shapes, serve as the base for savory butters or pastes, often topped with a "canopy" of such savory foods as meat, cheese, fish, caviar, foie gras, purees or relish.

Chef Barrett named me canapé of the day today because I made the best ones! I felt like I was picked to be "Top Banana!!". To the right is what they looked like. the crust is pate dough, and inside is a whipped blue cheese mixture. The green circles are grapes sliced very thin, and then some toasted pistachios.





The next item on the menu is a falafel. They turned out so well and delicious! I cannot wait to make them again! I ended up eating the whole thing for lunch...or I guess brunch! Since it was only 10:30!!

Then today most of us went over to Bob's house for a little culinary get together. It is when we all make yummy food and then talk about...well food. It is actually a lot of fun & we all walk away with amazing recipes! Kristen made two different kinds of sausages...that were amazing. (I didn't really even know people did that at home!! She stuffed them in the little casings!) Becky made crab wontons & fried zucchini. Bob made shepherds pie, and I made ice cream sandwiches. Pete, Barbara, and Bea just came along to be tasters! It was a lot of fun & has been so nice to find great friends here in Boston! I will try to update you all with a pic...but have been only taking pictures on my phone, since Blair has our camera in Slovakia. Miss & love you all!!

1 comment:

TheRays said...

everything you' ve posted looks so good I want to try !!!! Well that's fun you were named top banana, do u get anything or just the title??? Love u- al