Today my friend "B" and I did a little after class session with Chef Ying Wei. He taught us how to make those really pretty flowers for on top of cakes!! We made them with gum paste, so they are edible but most people don't eat them. The gum paste is kind of like the "dot" that is on top of sprinkles cupcakes...you don't really want to eat a giant hunk of it! But isn't it so cute! I was so proud of myself! You have to let them harden for a couple of days before you can color them, with pastel colored dust...like powder sugar kind of. But, I thought they were really cute just plain white! I am so excited to know how to to do this...it does take a bit of finesse, not to mention speed! The paste drys out quickly! We will have to do a little cake decorating session over Christmas!! Miss you all!
Thursday, September 11, 2008
My first rose....
Today my friend "B" and I did a little after class session with Chef Ying Wei. He taught us how to make those really pretty flowers for on top of cakes!! We made them with gum paste, so they are edible but most people don't eat them. The gum paste is kind of like the "dot" that is on top of sprinkles cupcakes...you don't really want to eat a giant hunk of it! But isn't it so cute! I was so proud of myself! You have to let them harden for a couple of days before you can color them, with pastel colored dust...like powder sugar kind of. But, I thought they were really cute just plain white! I am so excited to know how to to do this...it does take a bit of finesse, not to mention speed! The paste drys out quickly! We will have to do a little cake decorating session over Christmas!! Miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That is amazing! I am impressed and can't wait to learn all the tricks you've been learning.
i would love to make roses with you. that sounds so fun!
-lainey beth
Your rose looks like an old fashion vintage rose from an English cottage garden...beautiful. I like it white or creamy. Love to you. a single rose on a cupcake...delicious and romantic.
Post a Comment